back check, a magical mystery tour.

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:45:39 -0400

Hi Stephen,

> I'm thinking something is causing this that
> occurs before the string impact. The obvious candidate is interaction
> between the backcheck and the hammer tail as the hammer heads toward
> the string. Backcheck clearance is supposed to be pretty tight, and
> I've seen enough examples of slight catching on the check  as the
> tail goes up, enough that power is lost without it being obvious.

What a compelling theory!  I think you just may have something there.

We are to understand that with forceful play, it's possible to bottom a key
before the hammer even budges (er... *much*).  However, with the bottoming
of the key, the backcheck would be elevated and could obviously catch the
hammer before it can accelerate out of the way -- if the clearances aren't
adequate.

I would presume that the only thing that would prevent this is the flexure
of the various action parts.  The keystick would be flexed
concave-downwards, such that the backcheck would be bowed out and downwards
(away from the hammer).  At the same time, the jack would be punched up into
the knuckle, and the hammer shank would be bowed concave-downwards, causing
the tail of the hammer to flex away from the backcheck.

I'm wondering if all this can't be measured with a "pseudo-dynamic" model.
Could the hammer be restrained while the keystick is bottomed out?  It seems
like that would be kinda stressful to me, but I guess forceful playing is
rather stressful.  (As a kid, I remember watching Van Cliburn snap a hammer
shank in concert, which a technician plucked from below the strings between
movements.)  Honestly, I'd be a bit afraid to try it on my own piano,
without someone I trust reassuring me it's really OK!  ;-)  If this can be
done, then flexure and clearance can be measured in a reasonably controlled
manner.  This "pseudodynamic" model would of course not take into account
the flexure of the keystick between the capstan and the tip or the flexure
of the backcheck wire/post (term??), due to acceleration, nor would it
account for acceleration in other parts.  It would simply account for what
are surely the most prominent variables -- hammer flange and keystick
flexure (or at least most of it), felt compression, etc.  While I realize
you probably have the high-speed video equipment and electronic
instrumentation to take true dynamic measurements, I'm thinking some sort of
pseudodynamic measurement system would be extremely useful to the technician
in the field -- since not all hammer/shank assemblies and (especially)
keysticks are created equal.

I was also thinking about the suggestion of steepening the backcheck angle
to create a more positive touch.  If indeed the hammer and backcheck are
meeting, due to action part flexure, then the problem would certainly be
aggrivated by having too steep a backcheck angle.  There is probably some
angle that is "just right," yielding just enough clearance on a hard power
stroke, while preserving a tight check on the rebound.

It's interesting that centuries of piano building have resulted in the
trial-and-error optimization of action geometry and regulation standards,
and it's only recently that we're trying to figure out why these
arrangements work.  Fascinating stuff!  I look forward to hearing what you
folks figure out!

Peace,
Sarah

PS Thanks, Robin!  I enjoy your insights too.  :-)