back check, a magical mystery tour.

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:30:36 +0200

Hi , everyone,

Even if the theory is saying that the action will flex a lot, it is
under very heavy play.
The amelioration with the optimum backchecks height is (to me felt as
a difference in synchronization, if one drive the backchecks even
lower, the tone get more power (that is not absolutely good for the
tone but it is) it is also producing a tactile change, that lend to a
better tone at the same time . As the effect is audible even at mezzo
forte, or lower, then the backchecks is certainly not rubbing on the
tail.

The lower the backchek, the firmer the backchecks wire , also , all
that goes the same direction to me, with some optimum placement that I
recognize because of the touch feel, the noise of the checking when
regulating, and the tone.

I consider the method we use to check the clearance and security of
the tail/backchecks relation to be relatively secure, we can really
bend strong the shank of the hammer, restraining its motion while
pushing on the key, if we want to.

I stay on the concept of the synchronism or a sequence that works
better for energy reasons. The noise indeed is "masked" in the attack
tone, that is what we do when tuning.
I have seen experiments where the action noise and attack noise was
separed from the tone, and if the tone of the piano was heard without
it it was barely recognized by an audience.

I believe also that the punching may be firm and resilient, not so
hard. The action when played with speed is braking a lot and the thump
noise is not that large unless the pianist have a bad touch or is too
violent (or the action is out of regulation, without enough
aftertouch).
When I feel too soft punching I have the impression of walking on a
bed. Firmer punching gives an impression of more tonal power, while
this is may be good to some point because the pianist is mostly
concerned, when the audience begin to hear too much key noise, then
the punching is really too hard , this the pianist is not always prone
to remark because of the mix tone/touch he appreciate.

See you soon.

Isaac