piano tones confused with oboe, clarinet, flute and violin.

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:00:43 -0500

somebody posted...
The attack and the decay were carefully excised, leaving the middle body
of the tone, with the premise (dangerous thing to have in pure research)
that without these, especially the attack, one would be hard pressed
(like some hammers) to tell the difference, say, between a clarinet and
an oboe.  After all this work, they rounded up the usual
suspects...er...experiment volunteer subjects, and found that indeed,
most of them couldn't tell the difference.  UNTIL, that is, a musician
spoke up and asked if the volunteer subjects had any idea of what these
instruments sounded like in the first place!!

I remember this back in the 60's in music class as a seventh grader??
They said by the miracle of modern recording techniques you could not
tell the difference between a piano tone and clarinets unless you heard
heard it from beginning to end.   so the attack and release was
"excised".    But sfw ?   (so freaking what?)   well t hose were the
days before 'relevance' had priorities in debate or inquiry even.
Actually the synthesizer people were vERy much interested but I was way
too young for that.   And yes I remember something about the volunteers
couldn't tell the instruments apart  but I still wonder at that because
as a seventh grader I could sure tell the instruments apart if they were
recorded naturally.  That is what the whole tape was about.  Back in the
5th grade we all heard Peter Wolf and Carnival of Animals so we all knew
what the oboe sounded like, it was the.......   ........   ummmm duh I
forgot...(the flute was a bird I tink)

     ---ric... (the "i" stands for "I will be reminded")
                    www.pnotec.com
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."  Auguste
Rodin (1840-1917); French sculptor.