Tuning with a fork and the Sanderson Baldassin procedure.

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:06:10 +0200

Hi Alan,

musicians train to count 3 times for 4 , 4 times for 5 is ot that different.

In the same time (1 second for instance) you count 4 times, and then 5
times, and back , a few times,  then you get a good feel for the kind of
acceleration you found between your thirds.
That is assuming you want to base your tuning on thirds. I tend to believe
that too much evenness there can be prejudicial to the more "singing"
intervals, so thirds are more there to put me in the ballpark, and I will
leave any unevenness if a fifth ask for it

I see thirds and tenths as the most precise tool for tuning, with some
musicality as well, but color is mostly in the fifths and similar intervals.

Happily, generally, a third or a tenth that is off will show a less than
optimum fifth that was hiding somewhere.

best

Isaac