Locating Tuning Pin Holes

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:58:33 -0300

Did you remove the old pinblock in one piece?
If so use a planer, and take it down to template size. You would also have the holding screw locations as well.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 5:49 PM
  Subject: Locating Tuning Pin Holes

  I am about to replace my first open-faced pinblock. It is a 100+ year old 6'4" Knabe grand. My question is how best to re-locate the tuning pin holes. I can easily imagine an assortment of approaches that should work - paper tracings, marked-up mylar, etc. - but I can also imagine these approaches to have some introduced error also. Maybe the best is to do the tracing or mylar and just correct as needed.

  But I'm also sure that many of you have been through this and have a better feel for what works and what doesn't. The original tuning pin array was very nicely spaced for good string lay/spacing, etc., so I would like to maintain the original. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

  Terry Farrell

  www.farrellpiano.com