Hammer Tail Cove

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:01:59 -0400

Is there a reason for this cove? Other than to reduce weight,
would it per chance reduce impact noise into the backcheck?
Have some magical effect on tone production?

I have hung a set which have a nice SW (1/2 medium),
I'm wondering if any flack would be taken other than
for a non-traditional application.

The amount of material removed by coving is about a third of a gram
which relates to less than 2 g's at the key front. Hardly worth the effort.

Anyway, I was just wondering what the general consensus might be
before I get the action back to the piano later this week.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@comcast.net