Sweet Betsy from...

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 05:43:57 -0400

The S&S 1098 (45-inch studio) is well known to have excessively tight =
tuning pins. Also the plate has no bushings, which pushes the =
torque-inducing string coil 3/8 to 1/2-inch above the pinblock. So when =
you go to try and make a small pitch adjustment with your tuning lever, =
instead of the pin rotating in the block, you tend to simply have the =
pin bend over (like a flagpole with a big flag in the wind). The of =
course when you release your lever after you have tried to move the pin, =
it simply goes back to the original pitch. I have found on these pianos =
that often, in order to have the pitch of the string settle just one =
cent higher, you have to make the pitch raise 20 to 50 cents!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Allen=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 1:38 AM
  Subject: Re: Sweet Betsy from...

  Hello Terry,
  What does it mean..."1098-type flagpoling...". Thanks,

  Clyde Allen
  Silver Spring, MD

  Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    Very stable piano. Amazed me. I remember when I tuned it that I was
    concerned whether the tuning would last long enough for me to cash =
the check
    because the tuning pins are very tight and they did the 1098-type
    flagpoling. But I guess I did something right.