Sweet Betsy from...

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:57:53 +0200

Terry,

An other (less tiring) solution is to put pressure on the tuning lever at
the edge of the move and play the note till it goes exactly where you want,
and the pin eventually have moved a very tiny little bit.but well certainly
the pitch easely goes to high first.

Staying just under the moment where the friction of the pressure bar is
overridden gives a feel for the pin "give" ,so less guess and less move,
sometime less string breaking , etc..

I agree with the large upraise which is necessary to really move up on some
pianos , but I try to avoid it whenever possible.

Best

Isaac

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de Farrell
Envoyé : dimanche 22 août 2004 11:44
À : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Sweet Betsy from...

The S&S 1098 (45-inch studio) is well known to have excessively tight tuning
pins. Also the plate has no bushings, which pushes the torque-inducing
string coil 3/8 to 1/2-inch above the pinblock. So when you go to try and
make a small pitch adjustment with your tuning lever, instead of the pin
rotating in the block, you tend to simply have the pin bend over (like a
flagpole with a big flag in the wind). The of course when you release your
lever after you have tried to move the pin, it simply goes back to the
original pitch. I have found on these pianos that often, in order to have
the pitch of the string settle just one cent higher, you have to make the
pitch raise 20 to 50 cents!

Terry Farrell