Tuning with a fork......Sanderson...

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:48:48 +0200

MessageRic,

Some professional are so accustomed to the Steinway tone (here in France
anyway) that they feel it in the crispness of the tone if the tone is under
440.
1-2 cts certainly don't bother much , 1hz is the extreme limit, but for
performance reasons, if they ask 442 one may try to get there - if possible
in the time limit allowed indeed.

A very reputed tuner say the Hamburg D is at his best at 443 Hz also.
The wind correct their pitch eventually during the concert, (between music)
as all instruments, actually with electronic tuners, more rarely with the
piano when the audience is there.

that have been my experience anyway

Best regards

Isaac OLEG

 -----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de Richard Moody
Envoye : dimanche 22 aout 2004 10:54
A : 'Pianotech'
Objet : RE: Tuning with a fork......Sanderson...

Joe,
    If you  produce a musician (oboist you say) who says their instruments
get weird outside of 2 cents deviation I will take a fresh  look (with them)
at my premise that you completely disagree with.  I know a few musicians but
have never asked them if  2 cents or two cycles per second is a big  deal
and wonder if they know the difference.   We ultimately work for the
musicians.  If they really want to play to a piano no more than one half a
cycle  per second off, we should hear from them and offer our services
accordingly.
    It is worth $100 for me to see if an oboist can indeed tune aurally
within 2 cents before concert and I would ask to see  how far off he or she
is off immediately after performance.    You gotta pay scale after all.....
    If we want to find out how much pitch floats during performance we
(piano tuners) have the machines to find out.   I am betting it is much more
than we think. And the piano floats the most.(Is my guess) I am willing to
put time into settling this issue once and for all.  But the bottom line is
who will fuss if the piano is 438.5 for performance nite?  Sometimes it
happens.   Life goes on----the music sounds good...whether at 438 or 442 and
no matter what the oboist says. :)  How much do your pianos for performance
float?

 ---ric

"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."

Auguste Rodin (1840-1917); French sculptor.