SW heresy?

Ray Negron ray@ronsen-hammer.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:54:53 -0400

Hi Sarah,

With most hammers, you can sight a strait line along all surfaces. Some
grands, most notably Steinways, have(or had- not sure if they still do it) a
taper that is not strait. The sheet of felt is manufactured to produce this
taper. Simply put, there are three tapers in the sheet, bass, tenor, and
treble. I am not computer literate enough to draw it.

Ray Negron
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Sarah Fox
  Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 11:13 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: SW heresy?

  .

  I guess I'm thinking more of the linear proportions in the dimensions of
the heads.  If I'm not mistaken, you could take a slab of uncut hammers and
sight a straight line along all surfaces.  Correct?  (Ray??)  Interestingly,
the entire keyframe is laid out in straight lines as well, with longer
dimensions in the bass and shorter in the treble.  Ray explains that the
felt in the bass hammers is less dense than in the treble, so that would
explain the basic form of the SW curve.  With linear dimensions all around,
and with progressively decreasing felt density, combined with increasing
proportions of felt with the larger/lower hammers, there would actually be a
fall-off in the bass end SW.

  Peace,
  Sarah