SW heresy?

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:08:32 -0700

I don't try and artificially manipulate the curve.  The hammer set dictates
how the curve will be shaped.  I do try and make sure that the transition
from bass to tenor is smooth.  Some sets of hammers will have quite a jump
in weight at that point, often the bass is much heavier.  In that case I
will taper the bass slightly more to get the transition smooth and I always
start my weight projections (and tapering)  for a set of hammers from the
first hammer in the tenor, work up to the top and then down through the
bass.  I haven't found any benefit/problems from curves of various shapes
unless it is at the extreme and that usually comes from a poorly made set
of hammers.  More problems will occur with hammers of inappropriate density
in various sections: too soft in the treble, too hard in the tenor and
bass.  The most important aspect of hammer making/manipulation, in my
opinion, is the control of density in each section.  The precise weight
curve, as long as it's a good match for the action leverage overall, is
much ado about nothing (my opinion again).  The usual spread from bass to
treble that I end up with is about 5 or 6 grams.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net