SW heresy?

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:56:24 EDT

Hello Sarah,

I was looking over your graph. This is strike weight, right? Not head weight?
Even so, it looks like it might be unnecessarily porky for a Steinway clone.
What kind of hammers are they, and have the sides been tapered? Head to tail,
or just tails? Has any additional coving been done?

As others have mentioned, doing your own tapering with a table saw jig like
the Spurlock goes a long way toward evening up (and reducing) weight. If they
are 11 mm wide, they may not need to be, which you can check against the string
spacing. If they do need to be as wide as whatever they are, you can just
start the taper at that width.

After tapering, I weigh each head before coving, and can make a 0.1 - 0.2
gram evening-out adjustment in the weight by varying the cove, without having it
show.

I think you are wise to put off final adjustments until you can put some
hammers in the piano and see what kind of weight the action wants, as well as what
kind of sound you're getting.

Bob Davis