SW heresy?

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:33:28 -0400

Hi Bob,

Yes, the weights are SW, and not head weight.  Although my hammers are a =
bit heavy, they're not really *that* heavy.  For the most part, they're =
in the 3/4 medium to top medium range.  I do like a heavier hammer, as =
it seems to give me more dynamic control.  If I had the strength to =
handle them, I'd probably want even heavier hammers still -- perhaps no =
higher than Stanwood 10s.  In contrast, I can't stand playing pianos =
that have light hammers.  Heavy works -- at least for me.  These hammers =
are only slightly heavier than the hammers I already have.  As truly, =
truly horrible as my old hammers are, I do like the "feel" of their =
weight.  Everything else in the action seems fine, and I won't be doing =
any reconfigurations (e.g. moving the capstans).  Oh, yes, the new =
shanks do have just a tad (.5 mm) longer a knuckle placement (18, vs. =
17.5 mm), so that will decrease the new SWR ever-so-slightly, =
compensating somewhat for the ever-so-slightly higher SW.

I've already had these hammers hung and shaped.  The job was done quite =
expertly!  Of course I can tweak the weight here and there with the =
removal of a bit of extra molding.  I don't want to touch the checking =
surfaces, though, as they're very nicely shaped.  I'll probably remove a =
bit from the sides of the tails, and perhaps just a shade from the cove =
side.  For those hammers that need a pinch more weight, I'll probably =
use a bit of lead, per some of the suggestions I've received.

But since this will all be put off until after I see how the hammers =
feel and sound, it's all quite a bit of arm waving right now.  If the =
hammers are really too heavy, which I highly doubt, I can always even =
their weights out towards the lower end of the jags in the SW curve.  =
I'll know more, once my keyframe returns home from its little trip to =
the spa, and I can put some of these pretty hammers into motion!  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20