Tuning with a fork [fork partials]

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:21:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/2004 4:46:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
robert.scott@tunelab-world.com writes:
Cy is right.  TuneLab generates sine waves when in the sound generation
mode.
Thanks, Robert. My AccuFork is quite old. I wonder if anyone has a newish one
who could check its output?

When I wrote my suggestion to use an AccuFork, I was thinking that Cy was a
strictly aural tuner, in which case he would want something pretty portable. I
favor a hybrid aural-electronic tuning method anyway, but if you're packin'
hardware, there's no point in setting an A aurally except for practice.

I think aural tuners profit by knowing all the ways to measure intervals
visually, and that predominantly electronic tuners benefit by knowing, and being
able to produce, the aural relationships. For instance, why to choose a
particular octave size and double octave size for a temperament area.

Some tuners say, "I can't be bothered by all that 6:3 stuffl; I just tune the
octave until it sounds right." Sounding right is part of it, but there may be
several interval widths that may need to be compromised in order to get the
best overall sound, and knowing one's way around the coincident partials helps
with understanding those compromises.

Bob Davis