SW heresy?

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:59:00 -0400

Hi Sarah et al,

I'm just catching this thread.... You wrote:

>Meanwhile, I would still love to know if there's any magic to the shape
>of these Stanwood curves (David??) or whether they largely reflect the
>natural curves of hammer sets, resulting from the way they are
>manufactured (as I suspect).

Your suspicion is correct!

The SWcurves are the result of LOTS of data measuring ALL kinds of pianos,
(the good, bad, AND the ugly).   They simply a reflect what's out there in
the general piano world.

They are most important as a frame of reference and the curve names give us
a common language for talking intelligently about hammer weight.   When you
say "I indeed wanted between a Stanwood #8 and #9",  we know JUST what your
talking about.

I have no problem with making hammer weight specifications that cut across
the curve lines!

Also:

Then Sarah Wrote:

>Apparently Steinway strives for linearity in hammer weight for whatever
>reasons.  Considering that what I have is a D clone, more or less, I
>should probably strive to preserve the linearity of the D-styled
>hammers.

I think you misunderstood Ray... NY Steinway hammers are Rarely
linear.  They often start out in the 1/2 medium zone and end up in the 1/2
high zone before nose diving in the high treble.  Exceptions abound!

David Stanwood