SW heresy?

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:54:30 -0400

Hi David,

Spacibo!  I appreciate the input!  Then it's not heresy after all...  ;-)

>Ray Wrote:

>>most notably Steinways, have (or had- not sure if they still =
>>do it) a taper that is not strait.

> Then Sarah Wrote:
>
> >Apparently Steinway strives for linearity in hammer weight for whatever
> >reasons.  Considering that what I have is a D clone, more or less, I
> >should probably strive to preserve the linearity of the D-styled
> >hammers.
>
> I think you misunderstood Ray... NY Steinway hammers are Rarely
> linear.  They often start out in the 1/2 medium zone and end up in the 1/2
> high zone before nose diving in the high treble.  Exceptions abound!

Hmmm...  I guess I did misunderstand.  Do you have any knowledge of why they
make their hammers with "nose diving" SWs in the high treble?  That is, do
you know anything of the design philosophy behind it?  Or is it yet another
one of Steinway's mysteries that we're not supposed to understand or
question?

Peace,
Sarah