Correct Hammer Surfacing, (Yeah, I changed it!)

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:48:26 -0400

At 1:23 PM -0700 8/23/04, pianolover 88 wrote:
>Quick dictionary check on the word: "reshape"
>
>reshape vt
>1. to alter or restore the shape of something.

You're certainly altering the flattened crown, and restoring it to
it's original curved shape. That's what I tell my pianists: for the
hammer can rebound from the string with minimal contact time, the
strike surface needs to be the tip of a curved crowned, not a blunt
flat one (anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4").

Certainly Cap'n Joe, when the felt fibers are laid down and the felt
mass built up at the factory, the fibers are being fed on in long
gossamer sheets in which the fibers are roughly parallel. However
this layer business is probably put "out-of-focus" by the fulling
process, the mechanical pounding of the original light & fluffy sheet
into a much denser one. (It's the felt factory's equivalent of the
steel mill's drop-forging.) So your concept of "Surfacing,
Resurfacing or Filing", while valuable as an visualization of what we
want to do, may not have nearly the basis it might once we move from
the deal to the practical.

At 10:14 AM -0700 8/23/04, Joe Garrett wrote:
>If we follow the "natural" curvature, (ie shape), we will have taken
>off continuous layer of felt. This leaves a continuous layer on the
>top surface of the hammer. IMO, this lends to better/easier voicing
>possibilities.

Let's examine two ways that a filing of the hammer could depart from
the original shape.

1.) Too much off the shoulders, leaving the topmost layers of the
crown with nothing on the shoulders to attach to. (This is the famous
Steinway "diamond shape" of legend.) This wouldn't be inherently
fatal to good tone because if it left the top of the crown unattached
to anything, the effect would be to lower its tension. And as soon as
you went deep enough into the crown, you'd run into layers which were
attached top the shoulders, and hence firmer. Here we have a soft
strike point lying on top of firm layers, IMMHO opinion, the recipe
for good tone. (The actual thickness of these zones is where the tech
is applying art.)

2.) Too much off the crown, leaving a sizeable portion of the
shoulder unconnected to the crown, and just lying there inert. This
is the well-known "mushroom shape" which develops slowly over many
filings, despite the best efforts of the tech to avoid it. But here
I'm not too worried either. I'll grant you these unconnected portions
of the shoulder (think of them as saddle-bags, office-worker spread,
whatever...) probably don't participate in the crown/shoulder flexing
as do the connected portions, and that they're just hanging there,
inert. I'm just not sure that these saddle-bags would interfere with
the connected portions just inwards from them.

What counts here is that you have a curved strike point and that it's
connected to the shoulders (with out without saddle bags).

>Same dictionary check on word: "Surfacing" (or) resurfacing= No
>entries found for
>"surfacing" or "resurfacing."
>Thesauraus= developing (adjective): embryonic, growing, evolving,
>budding, sprouting

I'd save the word "surfacing" for gluing buckskin (or nameboard felt)
over the top treble hammers (or re-treading a truck tire).

"Filing" tells me a sandpaper file was used, but not necessarily what
the finished result was.

>seems like "reshape(ing)" is the correct term.

Me too.

At 10:14 AM -0700 8/23/04, Joe Garrett wrote:
>On that, I'll let y'all ponder, for a while. For those who choose to
>continue to use the archaic/incorrect term, so be it. IMO, ya just
>don't get it!<G> Most on this list espouses making changes for the
>better, in our industry. This is one of those changes, that is way
>overdue. Think about it.

Right, it's Morning in America and the realization is just dawning
across this great land. Over night the last few hold-outs in this
matter of terminology came to their senses. The entire piano service
industry has stopped calling this step re-shaping, and a giant
stumbling block to the quality of our service has been removed, and
the piano buying public feels a weight lifted from their shoulders.
And the Golden Age of Pianos greets a new day.  (Go ahead Joe, I'm
just asking to be spanked....)