Pinning on new flanges

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:03:11 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_0029_01C489C1.9151B100
> There certainly is a lot of name dropping as to authenticate what is=20
> so and what isn't concerning correct hammer flange pinning, and there=20
> are various concepts presented as to how tight or loose these hammer=20
> flanges should or not be.

I dropped the name "Roger Jolly" not to authenticate anything, but =
rather to provide a reference for published writings on the subject for =
anyone that might be interested in pursuing the matter. And BTW, I think =
that I have been the only one to "drop" a name.
=20
> If I were seeking correct information from authoritative sources what=20
> is correct about this subject, it would appear on the surface this is=20
> not the place to get it.

That may well be true. But is this not a forum for discussion? Are we =
not discussing hammer flange pinning friction? Seems like a good =
discussion to me. I like seeing different ideas. Even if some are wrong. =
 ;-)

Geeeezzzzzzz - at least its about pianos!!!!!!
=20
> Now no disrespect intended, but I find it somewhat amusing that so=20
> many persons assert to have the answer, yet there is not relative=20
> sameness in those answers.

dis=B7cus=B7sion    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (d-skshn)
n.=20
  1.. Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
I think there is the implication that differing ideas might be =
expressed. No? Otherwise there is not a whole lot to talk about.
=20
> So I muse, why don't I add to this professionalism.
>=20
> There is no one way to do it. There is such a thing as too loose, and=20
> there is such a thing as too tight. What happens in between will=20
> always be a judgement call.

Ahhh, but you see, you are adding to the discussion. What is too loose =
and what is too tight? I think this discussion has already covered views =
that suggest a given flange friction is just right and the same friction =
is too loose. And hence not a formal finding of proven fact, but rather =
a wonderful expression of ideas.

Terry Farrell
=20
> Each piano dictates what it needs to optimize its abilities. and it=20
> takes a person who is capable of recognizing and accomplishing such a=20
> thing when needed.
>=20
> Sincerely,
>=20