Pinning on new flanges

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:44:03 +0100

Jenneetah wrote:

> You may be glossing over two different approaches to flange pinning in
> a way which overlooks the serious major issue between them. That is
> the business of whether the shank center friction should be constant
> from #1 to 88, or whether it should taper to match the tapering hammer
> weights. On this go-around on the subject, this fork-in-the-road issue
> didn't come up, although both sides chimed in.

Yes... the basic difference between the swing test and the Steinway
test.  This goes back a long ways indeed.

> I'm with Ric: the shank center friction should taper from #1 to #88,
> and it's the number of observed swings which should remain constant.
> The only thing which attracts me about constant flange pinning is the
> fact that it's easier to do: each pin friction is the same, and you
> don't have to waste time verifying that each one takes its proper and
> unique place on a tapering slope.

Thats sort of why I double check the swing test with the Steinway
test... kinda helps me find a middle road, that is acceptable to both.

> At 9:25 AM +0100 8/24/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
>
>> I dont find any real change in tightness in flanges due to climatic
>> change, but I do find change in friction levels on some pianos. That
>> might seem a strange comment, but if you think about it... friction
>> is easily caused by matters not related to tightness perse.
>

> Ric (the Cheshire cat),

Grin....

> I can think of two things. 1.) the Mystery Sauce which some
> manufacturers treat their action centers with, and 2.) friction as a
> function of force applied. What did you have in mind?

Well.. you can get into graphite, plated pins, corrosion of diverse
sorts... I've even seen that ugly green stuff pop up.  Another is the
application of one <<mystery sauce>> over another... sometimes the two
are not particularly compatible.  Essentially... anything that is
hydroscopic, or affects the way the felt / and or wood reacts  to
moisture I guess.  I suppose others can think of some good contributers
as well.

Point is, I find far to many actions with flanges that seem totally
unaffected thus by significant changes in climate.  Experience shows me
that kind of situation usually points in the direction of contributing
factors.

Cheers
RicB