Pinning on new flanges

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:14:16 -0400

At 7:17 AM -0500 8/24/04, Keith McGavern wrote:
>There is no one way to do it. There is such a thing as too loose,
>and there is such a thing as too tight. What happens in between will
>always be a judgement call.

And hopefully that judgement benefits from experience, good or bad.

>Each piano dictates what it needs to optimize its abilities. and it
>takes a person who is capable of recognizing and accomplishing such
>a thing when needed.

You may be glossing over two different approaches to flange pinning
in a way which overlooks the serious major issue between them. That
is the business of whether the shank center friction should be
constant from #1 to 88, or whether it should taper to match the
tapering hammer weights. On this go-around on the subject, this
fork-in-the-road issue didn't come up, although both sides chimed in.

I'm with Ric: the shank center friction should taper from #1 to #88,
and it's the number of observed swings which should remain constant.
The only thing which attracts me about constant flange pinning is the
fact that it's easier to do: each pin friction is the same, and you
don't have to waste time verifying that each one takes its proper and
unique place on a tapering slope.

At 9:25 AM +0100 8/24/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
>I dont find any real change in tightness in flanges due to climatic
>change, but I do find change in friction levels on some pianos. That
>might seem a strange comment, but if you think about it... friction
>is easily caused by matters not related to tightness perse.

Ric (the Cheshire cat), I can think of two things. 1.) the Mystery
Sauce which some manufacturers treat their action centers with, and
2.) friction as a function of force applied. What did you have in
mind?