Repinning Steinway Upright with verdigris--suggestions, estimates?

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:09:10 -0700

I just finished replacing all the flanges in this same piano.  It does have those double flanges.  It took me about two full days to replace and fit everything, and more time to address other regulation issues.  I had to repin almost all of the flanges (replacements from Schaff).   The job was easier than I expected, especially after I had removed the dampers and spring rail.  Spacing the hammers was easy- you just have to paper the flange on one side or the other.  It's a lot harder to space them if you have to do it later (with the spring rail and dampers in place).  Travelling the hammers is easy, since you just loosen the screw and give a nudge in the right direction.  The dampers are removed by loosening the screws, so there's no need to pin them to fit.  After you're done, any hammers that you spaced will put the dampers out of line, since they share the same flange.  It's easy to just bend them left/right to make them line up again.
Cost of replacement flanges from Schaff was about $190.00.
Good luck,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 08/24/2004 7:05:32 AM
Subject: Repinning Steinway Upright with verdigris--suggestions, estimates?

List,

While tuning a nice 1942 Baldwin L yesterday, the owner mentioned that she had an old piano in the other room that had some notes that didn't work, and wondered whether I could look at it and see if I could fix it.

Turns out to be a Steinway "V" from around 1920, impeccably refinished in deep red Mahogany.  The hammers have been replaced within the last couple of decades, but probably have never been used all that much, given the state of the hammer-flange centers.

I didn't have to do much examining to figure out that the piano is infested with verdigris (I forgot to note whether there are double flanges, though :-(  ).

I am going to take on the job of repinning this beast if the owners decide they want it done, but I have a few questions.

1.  Will I need to replace bushings as well as the center pins?  I certainly suspect so, since the cloth is the culprit.

2.  Will it be cheaper/easier to just replace all of the flanges in the piano?

3.  Is it likely that all of the flanges in the piano are verdigris victims?  The whippen and jack flanges don't seem to be binding, but I would suspect that Steinway used paraffin in all of their bushing cloth.

4.  Time estimates from anyone who has done this project before would be most appreciated:
      A.  Repinning all flanges
      B.  Replacing all flanges and subsequent fitting involved
      C.  Rebushing and repinning all flanges

I will also consult Joe's "G" Piano Works labor guide for ETs for these various operations.

Thanks in advance for your expertise,

Dave Stahl