Pinning on new flanges

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:17:15 +0200

On 24-aug-04, at 22:55, Ryan Sowers wrote:

> I knew I'd get in trouble for my comments! : )
> =A0
> =A0It is true that you can hear the differenceI between hammers that=20=

> swing 4 and hammers that swing 8. The hammers with less friction will=20=

> spend a slightly less amount of time on the string. The more tightly=20=

> pinned ones will stay on a microsecond longer dampening out the=20
> highest partials. Is the hammer getting off the string faster a bad=20
> thing? I don't think so. Of course for voicing purposes consistancy is=20=

> the key.
>  =A0
> If the flange is well sized, burnished, and lubricated it can=20
> swing=A08-10 (I'm not talking treble hammers here) =A0times yet still =
be=20
> firm enough to prevent excessive side play. Alignment, traveling and=20=

> hammer to string mating will keep the hammer on course.
>  =A0
> Less friction =3D greater upweight and lower downweight
> =A0
> Lastly, as a player I just like the feel of a more free action (if the=20=

> voicing and regulating are good). Thats what made me a follower of=20
> Darrel Fandrich's work. I played one of his grand pianos at a national=20=

> conference: I felt someone had turned up my playing ability a notch!
>  =A0
> I still maintaing that *very free* is not the same as *loose*.
>  =A0
>

> Ryan Sowers, RPT Puget Sound Chapter
> Pianova Piano Service
> Olympia, WA
>
> Do you Yahoo!?
>  Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.

I once (a long time ago) made a rather thorough investigation myself of=20=

all the friction points in a Steinway O grand action.
This instrument played so heavy, it was impossible to use my weights=20
(total of 60 grams) and measure the downweight as the keys just would=20
not go down.
I measured everything carefully and treated every friction point one by=20=

one with CLP and McLube.
I measured and treated measured again :
all centers - the repetition springs - the front rail and balance rail=20=

pins - the wippen repetition lever - the knuckles.
I did good job and it took me quite a long time to measure it, write it=20=

down, treat it, measure it,  and write it down again.

In the end I brought the downweight of most keys to a standard factory=20=

level of 47 grams exactly.
That in itself was truly amazing.
What was even more amazing, was the fact that the dynamics of the=20
instrument had changed completely too. It sounded very loud and=20
extremely brilliant, almost painfully brilliant.

It of course needed re-regulation, tuning, and voicing, and afterwards=20=

the customer complained that she had to learn to play piano again.....=20=

smile.....

antares

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available