Pinning on new flanges

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

I knew I'd get in trouble for my comments! : )

 It is true that you can hear the differenceI between hammers that swing 4 and hammers that swing 8. The hammers with less friction will spend a slightly less amount of time on the string. The more tightly pinned ones will stay on a microsecond longer dampening out the highest partials. Is the hammer getting off the string faster a bad thing? I don't think so. Of course for voicing purposes consistancy is the key.

If the flange is well sized, burnished, and lubricated it can swing 8-10 (I'm not talking treble hammers here)  times yet still be firm enough to prevent excessive side play. Alignment, traveling and hammer to string mating will keep the hammer on course.

Less friction = greater upweight and lower downweight

Lastly, as a player I just like the feel of a more free action (if the voicing and regulating are good). Thats what made me a follower of Darrel Fandrich's work. I played one of his grand pianos at a national conference: I felt someone had turned up my playing ability a notch!

I still maintaing that *very free* is not the same as *loose*.

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA