Key covering thoughts ...

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:19:38 -0500

Glued on some Schaff 1396W key tops today and was very glad to see that =
the
keys of this old Cable-Nelson are wide enough that the tops need almost =
no
trimming. BUT (and I've noticed this before) the 'D' tops are just about =
2mm
too narrow when the others just fit nicely. Anyone else notice that? In =
the
past, I've sanded the key slightly so there is no wood showing ... =
anyone
handle this differently? White paint?
=20
We've had, in the past, several discussions on re-blacking wooden =
sharps.
Here's what I do that seems to work very well: I use a clean rag and =
some
rubbing alcohol to clean the sharps. This actually partially dissolves =
the
old lacquer (your rag will turn black) and certainly takes care of the =
old
finger oil, etc. When the alcohol has dried, I spray flat or semi-gloss
black paint lightly to cover, let it dry for a 1/2 hour or more, then =
spray
with a urethane finish, wait an hour and put on a second coat of =
urethane.
Then I don't touch those keys for about two days, at least, so the =
finish
gets good and hard. They look great and the paint simultaneously =
re-blacks
the key-stick, too.
=20
Okay, so I didn't log off. I got a buncha private emails asking me not =
leave which was very nice and made me all warm and fuzzy about staying.
=20
BTW A couple of people commented that it was always the non-contributors
(the lurkers, as it were) who get annoyed with the garbage and threaten =
leave. I guess those particular comment makers have not been around this
site long=97though it is true, I've been kinda quiet lately.=20
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
=20