Teflon bushings: (was Re: Pinning on new flanges}

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:47:36 -0700

Hi, Keith

At 11:48 PM 8/24/2004, you wrote:
>At 10:46 PM -0700 8/24/04, Horace Greeley wrote:
>>Hi, Keith!
>>
>>You left out only one thing - staggering arrogance on the part of the
>>company.  ...  the treatment of technicians in the field was simply
>>execrable...
>
>Hello Horace,
>
>I don't recall ever experiencing or noticing the attitudes you mention
>above, hence no inclusion of such things in my post.
>
>Sorry to hear your memory prompted such descriptive words, but I'll accept
>your recollections as being the case for you.

I am not alone...but my experience is perhaps more pointed than most:

In 1968, a college where I was working took delivery of a new D.  Within a
month, it was completely unplayable.  The action was, quite literally,
frozen.  After repeated complaints, gradually moving up the ladder, a
letter arrived from Vince Orlando, who was, at that time, factory foreman
with some other title (he preceded Joe Bisceglie).  In that letter, Vince
informed us that the instrument had been perfect when it left Astoria, and
if, in fact, there was now a problem, it was because the technicians
currently working on it were completely incompetent/etc.  As you might
imagine, this letter hung on the wall of our shop for some years, finally
disappearing when the other technician retired.

The technician who was sent out spent nearly two days completely repinning
the action, and then doing a full regulation/etc.

The point is that virtually no one really gave those actions a truly fair
trial.  The factory was impossible, technicians were recalcitrant, dealers
did not want to pay to fix what was clearly manufacturing problems, and, as
was pointed out, the early service bulletins (when they finally appeared)
were, to put it charitably, poorly done and not well supported.

I suppose this sounds like a rant.  That is not how it is intended.  There
is always more to any given situation than meets the eye.  In this case,
the company has never chosen to deal realistically with the fallout from
that initial period; and, during that period left a number of technicians
really hanging out to dry.  It wasn't very pretty.

The worst part of the whole fiasco is that the relative failure of the
early teflon bushing, coupled with the equally disastrous early use of
plastics (mostly in lower-end instruments) combined to create a milieu in
which it has become so difficult to gain acceptance for any new designs
and/or materials.  Given the paucity of decent hardwoods, the idea that we
are still wasting that irreplaceable resource in preference to something
else for action parts is absurd.

OK - the last part is a rant...sorry.

Best.

Horace