Pinning on new flanges

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:34:53 -0700 (PDT)

Richard,

"The hammers with less friction will spend a slightly less amount
of time on the string. The more tightly pinned ones will stay on a microsecond longer dampening out the highest partials."

O.k. you nailed me on this one : ) I have to admit I didn't intend my "microsecond" in any sort of scientific way. What I should have said is "The more tightly pinned ones will stay on the string a tiny fraction of a second longer. Thanks for calling me on my sloppy semantics! : )

And no, this is not based on any scientific measurements but on my own intellectual model of what's happening. Obviously a hammer that has 1/4 swing will stay on the string longer than one that swings 20 times. Agreed?

Lastly, we all have seen hammers that swing 4-7 times that have excessive side play. So we should not be dependant on swings to gauge bushing firmness. sliding a staight edge back and forth under the shanks quickly shows the flanges with excessive side play.

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA