Pinning on new flanges

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:38:59 -0700

If you have a hammer swinging 4 to 7 times and it has side play you have =
a birdseye problem...not the bushing.

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ryan Sowers=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 12:34 PM
  Subject: Re: Pinning on new flanges

  Richard,

  "The hammers with less friction will spend a slightly less amount=20
  of time on the string. The more tightly pinned ones will stay on a =
microsecond longer dampening out the highest partials."

  O.k. you nailed me on this one : ) I have to admit I didn't intend my =
"microsecond" in any sort of scientific way. What I should have said is =
"The more tightly pinned ones will stay on the string a tiny fraction of =
a second longer. Thanks for calling me on my sloppy semantics! : )

  And no, this is not based on any scientific measurements but on my own =
intellectual model of what's happening. Obviously a hammer that has 1/4 =
swing will stay on the string longer than one that swings 20 times. =
Agreed?

  Lastly, we all have seen hammers that swing 4-7 times that have =
excessive side play. So we should not be dependant on swings to gauge =
bushing firmness. sliding a staight edge back and forth under the shanks =
quickly shows the flanges with excessive side play.=20

  Ryan Sowers, RPT Puget Sound Chapter
  Pianova Piano Service
  Olympia, WA