Pinning on new flanges

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:51:18 +0100

Ryan Sowers wrote:

> Richard,
>
> *"The hammers with less friction will spend a slightly less amount
> of time on the string. The more tightly pinned ones will stay on
> a /microsecond /longer dampening out the highest partials."*
>
> O.k. you nailed me on this one : ) I have to admit I didn't intend my
> "microsecond" in any sort of scientific way. What I should have said
> is "The more tightly pinned ones will stay on the string a */tiny
> fraction of a second longer. Thanks for calling me on my sloppy
> semantics! : )/*
>
> And no, this is not based on any scientific measurements but on my own
> intellectual model of what's happening. Obviously a hammer that has
> 1/4 swing will stay on the string longer than one that swings 20
> times. Agreed?

Agreed... but we are talking about a significant lingering from a
friction difference reflected by 5-7 vs 8-10 swings.  I question the
degree of significance that lingering period has, and questioned whether
there was some data to back up the claim that this difference can
account for the change in partial behavior you claimed... yes ??

> Lastly, we all have seen hammers that swing 4-7 times that have
> excessive side play. So we should not be dependant on swings to gauge
> bushing firmness. sliding a staight edge back and forth under the
> shanks quickly shows the flanges with excessive side play.

Well.. sure.. if one side of the bushing is dead tight and the other is
loose... or if there is some excessive angled force placed on the
knuckle... or something like that. But that does not refute the basic
premise of " the firmer, the more solid contact with the strings, and
the more clean and powerful the resulting transfer of energy for same
hammer velocity".

> Ryan Sowers, RPT Puget Sound Chapter
> Pianova Piano Service
> Olympia, WA

I must say tho... the whole discussion about the basics of how much
friction is desirable from a touch perspective is really fascinating...
and I enjoy reading all the commentary made on both sides of that fence.
Yours not the least.

Cheers
RicB