Baldwin finish

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:42:17 -0700

Dean May queried: "I am looking at refinishing a 6 foot Baldwin, about =
50 years old. It has a
satin ebony finish that has bad water damage on the lid and side. I'm =
not
sure if the finish is original or not. It is apparent that it is =
mahogany in
the areas of the water damage.

Can anyone tell me if the odds are good for it to be all mahogany? I =
have a
customer who wants it but in a natural wood finish. Will I get myself =
into
trouble to convert it to a natural wood finish?"

Many thanks,

Dean,
There's really no way to tell, until you've stripped the whole thing. =
Many times, different veneers were used on an Ebony piano. It's what I =
call a "Friday Piano". I'm sure you've seen an upright with a cacophy of =
woods, usually when the client does his/her own refinishing.<G>
(When Friday rolled around, they had all these mismatched case =
parts...so, Black it was!)
The second problem you may have is getting all of the "black" out of the =
wood pores. This can be a real bear on some porous woods, like mahogany.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I