Teflon bushings: (was Re: Pinning on new flanges}

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:27:21 EDT

<< I was under the impression that one of the problems with teflon was wood

swelling and squeezing the bushing thus tightening the flange... is this

another urban legend? >>

Not really. The wood distorts in response to humidity changes.
    If the hole was round when the wood is dry, it is oval when the wood
absorbs more moisture,(wood changes far more across the grain than with it).  If
the hole is round when the wood is damp, it becomes oval when the wood dries
out!
   Teflon bushings require so little compression to give the proper friction
that any distortion that causes loss of round will allow noise.  The smaller
teflon used in the earliest actions would distort and stay that way.  I
recently repinned the damper action of a 1962 M that used cloth in the action, but
teflon in the damper assembly!  I repinned it because it was too tight to allow
proper damping.  It had never been worked on before, Go figure...
Ed Foote RPT