Teflon bushings: (was Re: Pinning on new flanges}

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:01:17 -0700

Ed,

At 07:27 PM 8/25/2004, you wrote:

><< I was under the impression that one of the problems with teflon was wood
>
>swelling and squeezing the bushing thus tightening the flange... is this
>
>another urban legend? >>
>
>Not really. The wood distorts in response to humidity changes.
>     If the hole was round when the wood is dry, it is oval when the wood
>absorbs more moisture,(wood changes far more across the grain than with
>it).  If
>the hole is round when the wood is damp, it becomes oval when the wood dries
>out!

Yes...which is why the method you described earlier (an epoxy dip) works so
well.  Thanks for mentioning that, by the way.  It was on my list and got
lost someplace.

>    Teflon bushings require so little compression to give the proper friction
>that any distortion that causes loss of round will allow noise.  The smaller
>teflon used in the earliest actions would distort and stay that way.  I
>recently repinned the damper action of a 1962 M that used cloth in the
>action, but
>teflon in the damper assembly!  I repinned it because it was too tight to
>allow
>proper damping.  It had never been worked on before, Go figure...

Teflon bushings were introduced over time in different models in different
places.  I think that they specifically went after the Ds first (starting
in 1959).  Then, it is almost as if they were using up the parts that had
been manufactured pre-teflon on a per-model basis...does that make
sense?  It would certainly account for what you describe; and jibes with a
number of instruments I have seen from that general period.

Best.

Horace