Teflon bushings: (was Re: Pinning on new flanges}

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:53:17 -0700

Hi, David,

At 07:10 PM 8/25/2004, you wrote:
>I was under the impression that one of the problems with teflon was wood
>swelling and squeezing the bushing thus tightening the flange... is this
>another urban legend?

Yes, actually...although I have seen it done a good many times.

What so many of these things hark back to is what Avery was talking
about.  Basically (and, with the clear acknowledgement that all
generalizations are inherently bad), the factory put out _no_ useful
information as to how to services these actions for a number of
years...certainly the first few years of production.  Problems with the
actions miraculously became problems with the technicians involved.  It was
endemic.  As late as 1968/1969 (~ 10 years after the first real production
instruments were released), Freddie Drasche was still teaching how to make
your own "parallel" reamers by rolling center pins between two files.  CPs
thus treated were good for about four or five bushings before they got too
smoothed over to be of any value...so, folks, being always aware of the
bottom line, would simply do the roll trick again...and, again...and,
again....well, you get the idea.

I do not remember when the factory _finally_ started selling the industrial
tool-steel fluted reamers...perhaps as late as the early 1970's.  They were
released about the time that the first of the factory technical bulletins
in re: servicing teflon bushings was produced...plus or minus a bit.  The
early publications were not well written, and contained information which,
while useful in a factory setting was less so in the field.  So, that was
one set of problems.  Another was the price of the reamers.  If memory
serves, it was around $12 per each for four reamers (and, once one did a
little digging, one could find another group of in between sizes for more
accurate work)...so, if one were really going to try to get set up for
servicing those things, you could drop the better part of $100 before
buying and parts (the bushings themselves and the specially
tumbled/polished center pins).  Now, mind you this was when $100 was real
money.

So, by that time, these parts were up against several obstacles:

  - premature, ill-planned release to begin with;
  - complete lack of technical support directly from the manufacturer;
  - a myriad of resulting home remedies (most of which were introduced more
problems than they solved);
  - limited technical training (after things got bad, Freddie basically
just did it on his own recognizance);
  - poorly written/thought through maintenance procedures (when they
finally became available);
  - expensive tools and parts;
  - lots and lots of technicians who simply could not see outside the box.

The combination made the whole project an all-too-easy target for marketing
wonks...and, companies (like, for example, Kawai) who have been continuing
to pioneer the use of new materials have had a really tough row to how.

What is truly incredible is that, if one does even minimal research on
piano-related patents, one quickly discovers that there are literally
thousands and thousands of ingenious ideas which have been
scuttled...mostly, one suspects, because they add too much cost to the
initial manufacturing process.

As technicians, we really do have to remember that, at bottom, the piano
industry, like all others, is about making money for the folks who are at
the top of the food chain.  Yes, music and art are in there
someplace...they are simply not at the top of the list, no matter what we
think.

Since it has not been mentioned in a while, I suggest as highly recommended
reading, Carol Roell's "The Piano in America: 1890 - 1940".  In a real
piano technology curriculum, a knowledge of this book would be right up
there with Braid White as required.

Hmmm...Sorry, I've really been on a tear with this whole thing...too much
misinformation for too many years from too many otherwise well-intentioned
sources...raises my dystolic...my apologies.

Best to all.

Horace