Dry Climate Piano Preservation

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:11:57 -0700 (PDT)

Here in Olympia, Washington its not too unusual to find old uprights circa 1900 with shiny springs and corrosion free strings, no soundboard cracks, tight tuning pins etc. I just sold an 1899 Kimball That internally looked like it had been in a time machine.

People think we have a humid climate out here due to the rain, but actually its rare to see over 65%RH. Its pouring down rain today: Hygrometer reads 70% indoors. Thats high around here!

I think these climate differences have a lot to do with the variety of opinions about the viability of old uprights that we see on this list

Also I think pollution is another major factor. Most of the old uprights were built when a lot of coal was being used in the big cities.

Dave Nereson <davner@kaosol.net> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell"

Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 11:39 AM
Subject: Dry Climate Piano Preservation

I tuned a 1955 Cable-Nelson spinet this morning. It had just come to Florida
from its long-time home in New Mexico. Except for dust and a bit of wear,
the inside of this piano looked like new. Absolutely no corrosion on any
metal part (strings, tuning pins, pressure bars, etc.). Don't see much of
that in Florida. Is this common for 50+ year old pianos in dry climates like
that of New Mexico?

Amazing.

Terry Farrell

Yes. Colorado, too. If they come "out West" when brand new, they fare OK.
It's when they spend 30 years in Missouri, then come here, that the
soundboards crack, pinblocks dry out, etc.
--David Nereson, RPT