Ultimate Dampp-chaser

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:52:37 -0700 (PDT)

I understand that Dampp-chaser sells the back cover with their backside vertical system, but they don't include it with any of their basic front side systems, and they don't mention it in the promotional information (that I have seen).

I just looked in the newest Pianotek catalog and they do sell just a backcover for $26. Its described as "Black grille-cloth cover for upight backside. Installs easily. Improves stability of humidity level by reducing airflow over the upright soundboard. Included in the BSV0PS system, but makes a positive addition to any upright system. "

$26 seems a little steep. Does "Black grille-cloth" have any advantage over something like light-weight canvas or nylon?

Somebody posted that with the back cloth they reduce humidity related pitch changes to 1 cent. That sounds very impressive. I wonder why Dampp-chaser doesn't include it with their regular systems if it makes such a difference.

I'm still curious if anyone has installed a front AND back system in the same piano. Maybe its a dumb idea? Wouldn't be my first!

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA