Pinning on new flanges

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:01:00 -0400

Hi David,

> The points I'm making are:
>
> There is historical evidence that supports the application of hammer
flange
> frictions of around 5 grams.
>
> Pianists don't seem to desire the lowest possible friction.

I don't doubt this, but please see my previous email, in which I question
which came first -- the friction or the pianist's preference for friction.
I still believe that pianists fundamentally prefer what they are used to
playing.  There would certainly be a learning curve with a friction-free
piano.  That doesn't mean it's a bad idea -- just that pianists aren't used
to it, are scared of it, can't at first play anything on it (very well), and
therefore avoid it.  However, history has shown us that change isn't always
a bad thing.  <smile>  What would happen if a young student were "raised" on
a frictionless piano.  Would he or she become a better pianist, capable of
running circles around the traditional pianists playing traditional pianos?
We simply don't know.

Peace,
Sarah