ebay piano story

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:45:25 -0500

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Ryan Sowers=20
To: Pianotech=20
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: ebay piano story

> Good point Phil.

> The moral of the story is: Have the piano checked out by an =
experienced and reputable technician.

> Another story: A client with a very talented daughter found a M&H AA =
over the internet in San Diego. It belonged to a professional > pianist =
(people always think that's a GOOD thing for some reason.) I made a few =
calls to find out a couple of names of reputable > techs in the area and =
gave the client their numbers. Both techs evaluated the piano: One said =
it needed a complete rebuild and=20
> the other said it was in great condition!=20

So how is it a reputable tech could have said it was great if it had all =
those problems?  Did he or she have "a hand" in the sale?  Sort of makes =
one wonder what reputable means.  Of course, some techs are reputable =
just because they've been in business a long time--not really based on =
their quality of work or ethics.  Although one would think that the =
dishonest ones would run out of customers, but there's always a new =
victim to be found.

Barbara Richmond, RPT