ebay piano story

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:01:20 -0700 (PDT)

I think the technician in question was recommended because he's been a very active member of PTG and is well liked. Another factor maybe that the person selling the piano was very attractive (I saw her picture on her website). Its possible that his judgement was a little skewed by his desire to please the seller. Pure conjecture <G>!

Some people mistake popularity and activity within the guild as a sure sign of technical compentancy. But out here we have seen *very* questionable work from members who were *very* successful within the organization. No, of course I won't name any names.

Barbara Richmond <piano57@flash.net> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Ryan Sowers
To: Pianotech
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: ebay piano story

> Good point Phil.

> The moral of the story is: Have the piano checked out by an experienced and reputable technician.

> Another story: A client with a very talented daughter found a M&H AA over the internet in San Diego. It belonged to a professional > pianist (people always think that's a GOOD thing for some reason.) I made a few calls to find out a couple of names of reputable > techs in the area and gave the client their numbers. Both techs evaluated the piano: One said it needed a complete rebuild and
> the other said it was in great condition!

So how is it a reputable tech could have said it was great if it had all those problems?  Did he or she have "a hand" in the sale?  Sort of makes one wonder what reputable means.  Of course, some techs are reputable just because they've been in business a long time--not really based on their quality of work or ethics.  Although one would think that the dishonest ones would run out of customers, but there's always a new victim to be found.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA