(re: a Teflon post)

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:50:06 -0700

Ilex,

Personally, I am not a fan of silicone in pianos.  Some do, though, but the
important thing to remember is that knowledgeable technician use it very,
very sparingly.

One way to do a quick key pin polishing is to use a split wood stick (like
an oversized rood tuning mute) with buckskin.  You can raise the keys and
insert the stick, and move from one key to the next, polishing the pin.

The Kawai concert technicians often use this tool with a very slight amount
of silicone applied to lower the key friction.  They also use a simple wood
wedge covered with buckskin with a little silicone to polish and lubricate
capstans.  Very often, the aim is to brighten the tone of the piano,
believe it or not.

Don Mannino RPT