Hearing beats

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:59:22 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "MKurta" <mkurta@adelphia.net>
To: "PTG List" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 7:57 AM
Subject: Hearing beats

    Hi Gang:
    I'm mentoring a new technician who is having trouble with beat speeds.
Does anyone remember an article in print that relates words to beat speeds,
i.e. mississippi being a four beat per second indicator, popocotepetal (sp)
I can't remember if it was in PTJ, or another piece of information.
Thanks....
    Mike Kurta

    I learned "Min-ne-a-po-lis" for 5 bps, pronounced as a Texan, not a New
Yorker, would say it; and "from Chicago to New York" for 7 bps.  But I also
like these:

     + is the down beat - is the up beat

3   +Sa tur day

4   +Jan u a ry

5   +dou ble pneu mon ia

6   +Sa tur day - sa tur day

7   +Mis sis sip pi to New York

8   + Jan u ary - Feb u ary

9   +Mis sis sip pi to New York and back

Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools

--David Nereson, RPT