A440 vs C5 tuning forks

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:48:04 -0500

Greetings Barbara

There is the reality that the C5 fork sounds louder and is easier to
hear than the A4 fork for some reason, but that may be due to my brand
of forks.  But since musicians tune from A440 the piano tuner might like
to have an A440 fork in case the musicians ask for an a440 source.

The debate whether to tune the piano from a C fork or A fork  might
should be up to the piano tuner, who knowing the musicians tune from an
A has better reasons to tune from C .   The bottom line is the musicians
approve, or rather don't object.
I would like to form a support group for tuners who never get "respect"
from the musicians.   Or a support group that gets support from tuners
who musicians rave about.    as if !
---ric

"All truths are easy to understand once they are

discovered; the point is to discover them."

Galileo Galilei (1564-1642); Italian astronomer and physicist.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 12:11 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Hearing beats

Hi Ric,

I never was taught to count beats either by my teacher in 1981.  It was
more, fast or slow or "the quality or characteristic" of the intervals.
To top it off, I learned the F-F temperament setting 4ths & 5ths and
using 3rds, 6ths etc. as my tests.  Gosh, should I include that I use a
C fork?  (Had my "A" there with me for the test.)   I have a little joke
going with a well-respected tech about forming a C-Forks Anonymous
group.  :-)

Hi, my name is Barbara.........