Brambach action parts

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:23:16 -0500

Hi Dave,

As I recall, the Brambach action has a coil type spring on the jack that
pushes on a small protuberance off the heel. This protuberance has a
tendency to come unglued and separate. I think it is held on with a tiny
little dowel joint. At any rate, I would recommend you apply a drop of CA
glue to each one of those joints for preventative medicine. Use a hypo oiler
for excellent control.

Reminds me of a horror story. The Brambach action has the drop screw located
in the hammer flange rail, not the flange. There is a large window in the
flange to allow access to the drop screw. A Brambach owner came into my shop
asking if I could take over a rebuild job. He had already paid something
like $1500 to this guy, it had been several months, and the piano was in
pieces in his living room! I went out to look at it and the "tech" was
attempting to put all new hammer shanks and flanges on the piano. Of course,
he couldn't find the Brambach style, so he was using a universal style that
had the drop screw in the flange. Undaunted, he just chiseled away the part
of the hammer rail that contained the drop screws, sure that he could make
it work. Not! What a mess. Fortunately for me (and the customer) another
local rebuilder had an old Brambach action in his boneyard that I was able
to retrieve the hammer rail from.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272