Old Steinway Value

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:55:42 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/2004 10:32:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
philfrank56@comcast.net writes:

   Phil
   I rebuilt one of these an 1873 ,it's same piano.  Metal belly soundboard
brace in bass corner?  Call me next week I'm off to  Tahoe.  Are they selling
it? If rebuilt correctly with an A-440 string  scale they sound quite good. The
open block is a challenge unless its a full  perimeter plate which I doubt.
As is replacing the board for a variety of  reasons. The torque on the
stretcher is also a big minus becasuse of the  pinblock string draft angle. It tends
to rotate the stretcher.
 Market value is questionable

    Dale

I have a client with a 7 foot 3  inch Steinway made in 1871. It appears to be
rosewood and the case is pretty  good. The board is surprisingly good( a few
narrow cracks) but everything else  needs replacement (definately pinblock).
Interesting to see the bass string  windings from 1871.
Anyway, I'm trying to come up with  a ballpark market value for this
instrument. Any help from "y'all" would be  appreciated.
Phil Frankenberg
CSU Chico,  Ca.
p.s. I have photos if  interested