How much friction?

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

Andre,

Great discussion : )

I agree with you that, in general, pianists like to have a "substantial" feel at the key that results from the weight of the action. Again, I'm not an advocate of feather light actions. My own personal preference for downweight is around 50 grams. And I'm not a big "light hammer" fan, and I'm even less a heavy hammer fan. But I am a low friction fan.

Does this mean I'm an advocate of no friction? Of course not. But I think generally most pianos can benifit from reducing friction. Of course you don't do anything without talking to the client about what the results are going to be.

Some pianists do indeed like a heavier touch. But we have also seen throughout this discussion that some excellent pianists prefer lighter touches as well. Do MOST pianists like a heavier touch? I don't think so. Will they prefer a heavier touch that is easier to control than a light touch that is not? Of course. But I think what most people will love is a piano that's easy to play AND easy to control.

Light touch (moderate, not extreme!) and excellent control are certainly not mutualy exclusive!

If reducing the friction causes the downweight to dramatically decrease it probably indicates that the action friction was too high in the factory and they made up for it in the key leading process. How often have we seen key leads trying to mask over other action problems? Too often it seems to me!

It seems that factory specs and set up are biased toward mass production. It is easier to put weights in the keys than to meticulously address friction issues.

antares <antares@euronet.nl> wrote:

We still have the fact that most pianists like to feel a clear
'response' caused by for instance the combined weight of keys, dampers,
action parts, the moment of let off and drop. Whether the instruments
plays light or heavy depends on the wish of the pianist and the skill
and experience of the technician.
Applying too much anti-friction material causes an action not only to
feel light and speedy, but also slippery and uncontrollable.

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA