friction.... yet another attempt

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:07:17 -0700 (PDT)

I very much agree that going after friction only could create other issues of functionality.

Take the procedure of adjusting lost motion on an vertical piano for example:

 After tuning a piano you have an extra few minutes left. You see excessive lost motion and decide to spend 10 minutes at the end of the service call to "improve" the functionality of the instrument. But if you failed to notice that the dampers were already lifting very early now you'll be stuck with another adjustment procedure because you find that the dampers are now not firmly resting on the strings!

We have to be aware of the consequences of all that we do. And in piano work it is clear that you can never do "just one thing". Everything we do seems to have multiple consequences.

In the process of lowering friction you may also have to address: voicing and/or key weighting, if the changes are in a direction that is away from the client's preference. If the client really likes how their action feels of course I won't mess with it.

antares <antares@euronet.nl> wrote:

Friction of course adds to the weight.
I was just pointing out that applying too much anti-friction materials,
or, for that matter, making an action 'fly' so to speak, may cause more
than one problem for both the pianist and the technician.
I have had this experience myself.
That's exactly what I described in my last emails to this list.
The first one was an extensive example of how I came to know about the
effects of anti-friction stuff, and the later ones were warnings for
over kill.

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA