friction.... yet another attempt

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:36:23 +0200

On 28-aug-04, at 1:48, Bec and John wrote:

> Hi Andre,

Hello John,

> I haven't really been following the thread much, so I'm not confident
> I'm following accurately, but I was thinking similarly to what you
> wrote in your last paragraph (quoted below).
>
> I think there is an element of control given more muscle usage (or at
> least a higher margin of error). Kind of like trying to hold a large
> box steady that is very light vs. one with more weight.
>
> As a pianist, though I may adapt to a very light action, I wouldn't be
> surprised if I had less "control" over dynamics given a smaller range
> of muscle exertion, in comparison to a heavier action. However,
> whomever you are replying to seemed to not be saying the weight needs
> to be changed, but rather friction. But then again, wouldn't friction
> just add to the weight, effectively?

Friction of course adds to the weight.
I was just pointing out that applying too much anti-friction materials,
or, for that matter, making an action 'fly' so to speak, may cause more
than one problem for both the pianist and the technician.
I have had this experience myself.
That's exactly what I described in my last emails to this list.
The first one was an extensive example of how I came to know about the
effects of anti-friction stuff, and the later ones were warnings for
over kill.

That's all.

nevertheless, I also pointed out that some pianists (like Horowitz)
like very fast piano's. They apparently have the ability to control the
speedy action where as other usually prefer 'safer grounds'

André

> - John
>

>> I do know what I am talking about and I have been around for some
>> time.
>> If you like a light playing and friction free piano, that's more than
>> fine. It does not mean that all piano's should be as light and
>> friction free as is possible.
>> Most pianists (most pianists) like to control their action. To
>> control a piano action, you need to have a force you put your energy
>> in, otherwise it's like an aeolian harp hanging in a tree, played by
>> mere wind.

André Oorebeek