Entirely OT: If you like Brazilian Jazz....OTOTOTO

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:13:39 EDT

It's a slow Saturday, what zee hell...

The web is great for some things.  I recently punched in the name of one of
my favorite musicians from whom I had heard nothing in close to 30 years and
whom I despaired of ever hearing his wonderfully happy music again:  Moacir
Santos.

Turns out a group of some of the best-known musicians in Brazil made a
collaborative tribute to him and including him in 2002, and it has recently been
released by Adventure Music in the US.  It is called "Ouro Negro."  As is the
case with most great music, it hasn't gotten alot of airplay.  I guess people
don't know what to call it--Brazilian, Latin, World, Jazz, Samba.  Damn those
categories, anyway.

Moacir Santos has been a mentor to many people that Brazilian music fans are
familiar with, including TomJobim.

If you like great compositions, wonderful arrangements, complex but very
accessible rhythms, and some excellent solos, check it out.  Amazon has it in
their catalogue.  If you like Brazilian music and all of its colors, this will
bring great joy into your life.  It is two CDs, and two hours worth of listening
pleasure.

I bring this up on this list because some of the best ears in the world scan
the discussions here, and I feel most of you would appreciate it.  No, I do
not own stock in Adventure Music.

Forgive my evangelistic post,

Dave Stahl