Pinning on new flanges

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:53:42 -0500

>>Also, I think relevant to this, is the weight of the bat. An extremely
light, virtually frictionless action would be analogous to a bat that
weighed next to nothing. Suppose that instead of 24-28 ounces, you could
have an equally strong, supple bat that weighed 3 ounces. That would be
widely unpopular because it would completely change the experience of
hitting the ball. The batter wants some heft, not too much, but if the bat
is too light, there's less control ... help me out here - isn't this
analogous to andre's argument?<<

Not to interject an opinion here on frictionless vs friction centers, I
would like to comment on this analogy. A weightless or weighted bat really
does not enter into the equation for what we are talking about. We are
talking about a rotating mass in both instances. We are used to swinging a
baseball bat in the air- relatively frictionless. Now imagine swinging it in
a tub of water. Now picture swinging it in different types of medium that
would render less and less friction until we get to swinging it in the air.
That is the analogy between no friction vs friction on a rotating mass. It
seems to me that swinging it in the air would afford the most control for
the batter.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272