Pinning on new flanges

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:20:05 +0100

Dean May wrote:

>Not to interject an opinion here on frictionless vs friction centers, I
>would like to comment on this analogy. A weightless or weighted bat really
>does not enter into the equation for what we are talking about. We are
>talking about a rotating mass in both instances. We are used to swinging a
>baseball bat in the air- relatively frictionless. Now imagine swinging it in
>a tub of water. Now picture swinging it in different types of medium that
>would render less and less friction until we get to swinging it in the air.
>That is the analogy between no friction vs friction on a rotating mass. It
>seems to me that swinging it in the air would afford the most control for
>the batter.

No no no no no.... Its not about absolutes this way or that way. In each
of the possible mediums you could achieve the same degree of control.
There would just be different demands placed on you to achieve that
control.   And besides... you guys are both forgetting that this
particular analogy went to describing the amount of time available for
steering a bat into a speeding ball.  In that analogy the
weightless/weighted bat is far more appropriate to use then the degree
of resistance of a given medium... unless you applied that same to the
speeding ball... in which case you will have only introduced a moment of
slow motion and othewise have changed nothing.

The weightless bat...yes... ever tried smaking a whoffel ball with a
whoffel bat ??... much easier with a real bat... gee.. I wonder why ?

RicB