Jaurez Cosmetic piano restoration

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:26:08 -0500

Concerning clients who bought defective pianos

You wrote,
    "Both were bought from dealers who sent them there to Juarez."

Red Flag.  It is the dealers that who are liable.  They sold defective
merchandise.  If they knew it,  it is fraud.  If the work was a disaster
as you state how could the dealers not know, which gets close to sales
fraud.  Whatever, they are responsible for what they sell.  They
(dealers) can sue who did the work, but it may be too late after they
sold them. (this does not excuse shoddy work but if dealers take it in
and then sell it that is almost getting worse)  Were these dealers in
Calif?  Calif has very strict and specific laws about this.  How long
ago?  Less  than 30 days ago?  If so, they (the buyers) may have rights
no other states offer.
      Before you start work on the piano you might want to advise your
clients they may have legal rights and should consult a lawyer. You
might want to consult a lawyer before you start work.  Whatever, take
plenty of pictures.  The dealer should have had a tech check out the
pianos. So should the buyer.  Your clients should have a lawyer check
out their case.  By not knowing to advise them, you become much like the
dealer who "didn't know."

Professional ethics is another matter.  It is better not to insinuate
that a business in your profession does shoddy work until you sit down
and have coffee with them first.  And it looks like someone got an
invitation to lunch already. :)  Stuff has been said here (Does the list
really need to know?) and the sad part is from piano tuners who aren't
even sure what they are talking about; that if directed towards me, I
would demand a retraction to my satisfaction.
     Defamation is still a crime and when you write it and then publish
it, it becomes libel. And the publisher can be held liable which in this
case is PTG.  Does PTG have a written policy or bylaw that says
"defamatory posts are not permitted, and are the sole responsibility of
the poster?"  If not do I want to be part of such a list?   Do I want to
be part of a list where "esteemed colleagues" get derogatory on, well
........on un esteemed colleagues?  So you see how deep it can get just
because of a thoughtless rant(s)... er excuse me, tocsin.    And why do
we have to go through it?

Richard Moody