Big Hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:39:05 +0200

On 30-aug-04, at 19:00, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Hey all,
> =A0
> Some of you may remember the thread last spring, voicing for a big,=20
> dead, hall.=A0 Still waiting for the bureaucracy to make up their =
minds,=20
> but in the mean time I've been thinking a lot about the project and=20
> I'd like to have a chat about hammer size.=A0 The hall is huge (3500=20=

> seats or so), has lots of carpet and poses a challenge for the piano's=20=

> projection.
> =A0
> I won't go into all the piano's issues=A0(of which it has quite a few=20=

> and=A0I can deal with them), but there is one area I'd like to hear =
your=20
> opinions.=A0 Right now, the piano (Steinway D) has the biggest hammers=20=

> on it that I've ever seen.=A0=A0Is it a fact that BIG hammers will =
help=20
> power and projection, especially in a problem setting like this?=A0=A0 =
A=20
> friend has recommended that I "leave them big."=A0 Some days I agree=20=

> with him and on others, I don't.=A0 Of course, I won't really know=20
> what's going to work until I dig in, but I'd just like to hear what=20
> your experience has been.
> =A0
> Thanks,
> =A0
> Barbara Richmond, RPT

Oh yeah, I remember...

What comes into my tiny mind Barbara is this :

First think about the way the instrument plays best, then work on the=20
sound as hard as you can.
That's in my opinion the way to treat a concert instrument in a concert=20=

hall.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available